I’m still doing the whole 21 Sugar Detox thing! I actually cheated a little bit yesterday after my race. I completed a marathon relay with 4 other great woman on my team, and nine groups of Mom’s Run This Town. SO much fun & I had a blast. Here’s a photo of me & Zoey when I got home. She liked playing with the medal, of course!
So the day was outstanding, except for the fact that I ate some candied walnuts, a slice of cheese pizza and a donut. And then I proceeded to have a pounding headache until I went to bed despite guzzling about 20 million gallons of water. So while I normally feel crappy after eating a dairy product, this one really hit home for me. This whole not eating any sugar thing is working. And clearly making me feel a lot better - and I have lost 4 pounds. So thank you 21 Day Sugar Detox Books & Diane Sanfilippo!
These cocoa banana nut muffins are 21 DSD friendly, so I need to let you know in advance that they are not sweet! repeat: not sweet! I put this recipe together specifically to have something muffin and bread like, because that is a no-no, and going into week 3 I needed something. They definitely satisfy the bread like quality I was going for, but with no sugar involved. The banana and almond butter provide a hint of that, but that’s it, for the most part. Anyways, you’ve been warned! Do not expect otherwise - and happy detoxing!!
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 green tipped bananas
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ⅔ cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup raw cocao nibs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line or grease muffin tins (with coconut oil or muffin liners)
- Put all ingredients except almonds and cocao nibs in the blender or food processor, buzz until smooth
- Pour blender contents in a bowl, gently fold in almonds & nibs
- Distribute equally among 12 muffin tins
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from oven & allow to cool before eating