There’s not too much I used to love more than Speculoos Cookie Butter (except for maybe pumpkin)… I still, do, really. It’s really hard when I go to Trader Joe’s not to pick up a container. Definitely a food I have a downfall for! When I started eating clean about 5 years ago, this was something I dropped from my diet (not easy to do!). It’s full of a lot of not good things. Lots of sugar, margarine, wheat, etc.. check out the ingredients list (but it still tastes amazing, I’ll admit).
I haven’t exactly made the replica of cookie butter, but this comes close enough for me, and it’s at least healthy. This definitely satisfies the craving, and one of my favorite flavors is gingerbread (See my awesome Gingerbread Roll recipe here).
I didn’t try it (I used almonds and cashews) but I’m going to bet you could easily sub out the nuts and use 2 cups of a delicious grain free gingerbread cookie instead (you would just have to make those first, with a baby, I’m having a hard time finding that extra time!)! But I do love Danielle Walker’s Recipe, from Against All Grain. I ate my gingerbread cookie spread with homemade graham crackers (I use Elena’s Pantry recipe). Enjoy (I know you will)!!
- 2 cups of almonds, cashews, a mix of both, or grain free gingersnaps
- 6 pitted dates (soaked or unsoaked, blends better when soaked for at least 30 minutes in water)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons of water (or more if you like it more smooth)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Blend or pulse ingredients together in a blender or food processor until smooth
- Enjoy with graham crackers or fresh fruit