Since I’ve been pregnant I’ve really wanted to eat tuna fish… tuna fish is not so great because of the mercury in it, and when I found this recipe from The Simple Veganista, I know I wanted to make my own version! I’m not terribly crazy about cranberries and a few others things she added in hers, so I came up with my own version. I had this for 3 or 4 days, and even ate the last little bit as a snack instead of a sandwich. Really yummy.
Makes 3 large sandwiches
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed & mashed (I used a potato masher)
- 1/2 red onion, washed and chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, washed and chopped
- 2 scallions/green onions, washed and chopped
- 1 cup of lentils (I used organic, BPA free, canned, and rinsed)
- 3 tablespoon of cashew cheese (see my recipe here) or hummus
- 2 slices of bread for each sandwich, I used Udi’s Omega, Flax and Fiber
- additional toppings such as avocado or tomato
1. Drain, rinse and mash chick peas and add to a large bowl.
2. Drain and rinse lentils. Add to mashed chickpeas.
3. Wash and chop red onion, celery and scallions and add them to the chickpeas and lentils.
4. Add hummus or cashew cheese and mix well.
5. Toast bread (if desired) and top generously with chickpea mixture! (I also added tomato slices and avocado slices on mine!)
Nutritional Information (with no bread):
Calories: 257 Fiber: 16g Sugar: 3g
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
gluten free, vegan