One thing I really miss about giving up dairy is cheese. One of my friends actually sent me an article a few months ago about how cheese (casein, which is found in cheese and other dairy products) has an opiate like effect on our brains, creating an addiction similar to drugs. How crazy is that? (see the article here)
When I found cashew cheese a few years ago 1) I couldn’t believe it was made out of nuts and 2) I think it tastes better than regular cheese. Cashew cheese gets expensive, mostly because raw cashews are a more expensive nut, so I started researching. I was surprised at how many I found. I gave it a go and was so excited with the results, just delicious! I no longer have to buy expensive containers of cashew cheese! This is also something that is really easy to throw together for snacks. Since school is back in full swing, I have less time to prepare food for lunch and snacks every day.
inspired by Inhabitots
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- pinch of sea salt
1. Soak cashews in water (they should be completely covered) for 1-2 hours. You will see them expand!
2. Drain cashews and add all ingredients to blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
3. Serve with crackers or veggies, also awesome as a spread on a sandwich or wrap!
Nutritional Information: Calories: 170 Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g
vegan, gluten free, raw, paleo