We recently celebrated Zoey’s first birthday - I’m not really quite sure where 1 year went! Here she is shoving her face full of birthday cupcakes at school (gluten free & dairy free, of course)!!
One thing I also sent to school with Zoey were these awesome ‘sugar’ cookies - they really are the best gluten free ’sugar’ cookies!!!! The kids really loved them and I don’t mind giving Zoey a treat knowing it’s gluten free and as ‘healthy’ as it can possibly be, not full of anything processed. Sometimes I think I’m crazy when I make everything homemade (time consuming), but at least I know what’s in them and what she’s eating - plus these really are the best gluten free ‘sugar’ cookies.
You would never know I’ve replaced everything bad that comes in a normal sugar cookie and replaced it with much better ingredients! I also love making sugar cookies because I love all the fun cookie cutters you can use to make them way more fun - my Mom bought me a bag of 100 different cookie cutters last year for Christmas, and I don’t think I will ever have a shortage of any cookie cutter I’m looking for!
- 1.5 cups Gluten Free Enjoy Life All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Mix coconut oil & coconut sugar together
- *beating in a mixer will make it much easier, but not necessary
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and beat until blended
- Add the flour and baking powder until completely combined.
- Remove from the bowl and roll into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough on a plate or in a ball (covered by plastic wrap or a dish towel) for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove dough from refrigerator and use extra gluten free all purpose flour to sprinkle on your countertop (I like putting some on my rolling pin too).
- Roll the dough out to the desired thickness (around ¼ inch seems to work the best)
- * I did mine in small sections, I just found this easier
- Cut the dough with your cutters and place onto your silpat or greased baking sheet
- *you’ll get 38-48 cookies depending on how big your cookie cutters are
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cookies are faintly golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool before eating! (I like this wire rack the best)