I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted a recipe! I was on a mini vacation in San Antonio visiting my in-laws over Christmas and New Years. We had a great time (warm weather!!) and did a lot of hiking and other outdoor activities. It’s been hard to be back, we’ve been having such terrible weather. Snow, ice, and negative degree temperatures! I also have other really exciting news! Jake and I are going to be having a baby – due August 3rd. Pretty exciting stuff! We are thrilled!
And in totally other, completely bizarre news, I have somehow gotten over my allergy to avocado. My husband encouraged me to try it over break since it had been so long – and no tummy troubles! So I’ve been eating avocado like a mad person (hoping I don’t jinx it). I’ve been eating loads of this salad this week – and I thought it would be a great recipe to share, considering the new year and many healthy eating resolutions. The dairy free ranch dressing is pretty awesome, too. What are your favorite salad toppings? (note: this does seem like a lot of calories, but it’s from the walnuts and the cashews!!)
Serves 1, double or triple for more!
(for the salad)
- 3-4 cups spinach, washed
- 2 campari or roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1-2 ounces avocado, chopped
- 1 egg, boiled and sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, washed, peeled and chopped
- optional: tempeh for ‘bacon’
(for the dressing)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (dried)
- optional: other spices such as cilanto to taste
1. Add cashews to a bowl and cover with water (soak for 30 minutes).
2. Bring 2-3 cups of water to a boil in a pot. Add egg for one minute. 3. After one minute, remove pot from heat, cover, and let sit (with egg still inside) for 12-15 minutes. Voila! Perfectly boiled egg!
4. Wash, cut/chop spinach, tomatoes, avocado, and cucumber and set aside in a salad bowl.
5. Remove egg from water (when ready) and slice for salad. Set aside.
6. When cashews are done soaking, add all dressing ingredients to a blender or food processer and buzz until smooth. (If it’s too liquidy for your liking, put in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes and it will thicken right up).
7. Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and toss with dressing.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 500 Fiber: 8g Sugar: 6g
Vegetarian Cobb Salad & Dairy Free Ranch Dressing
gluten free, dairy free, paleo