Did you know that sweet potatoes are an awesome source of vitamin C & D, Iron, Magnesium & Potassium? Sweet potatoes help produce collagen, boost energy levels, and produce cells that create better organ function (not to mention supporting the thyroid gland)! Whew, that’s a lot!
Since I’m down at the Cape most of the summer, I frequent a tiny store (Peterson’s) for my favorite veggie sandwich, sometimes even on a weekly basis (okay, almost a daily basis). They also make some unbelieveable looking salads, and this one has caught my eye quite a few times. I thought that I would try this sweet potato salad out on my own, and the results were pretty awesome. Great combination of sweet and spicy! This one went over well at dinner and I would definitely make it again. I ate it tonight with grilled portabello mushrooms on a gluten free roll.
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, coconut, grapeseed)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 small knob ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 lb. of sweet potato
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 stalks green onion (garnish)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional, I did not use them in mine)
1. Saute onion in oil on a skillet until brown.
2. Add sweet potatoes, water, orange zest, orange juice, cumin & ginger.
3. Cover & lower heat. Occassionally stir until the potatoes are tender.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl, drizzle maple syrup & green onion over potatoes and toss (add cranberries if desired).
Nutritional Information: Calories: 114 Fiber: 4g Sugar: 13g
Spicy Sweet Potato Salad
gluten free, vegan, paleo