Do you have any Halloween traditions? My husband and I always carve pumpkins the night before Halloween while watching Hocus Pocus. It’s funny to tell you this, but my husband really only loves carving pumpkins for one reason: the seeds inside. He knows I will clean them and toast them for him for snacking. You just cannot go wrong with toasted pumpkin seeds.
And I don’t know about you, but I indulged in some candy over the Halloween weekend and my stomach didn’t feel so great for a few days (and my skin showed it, too). Ah well, you live and you learn. Super easy to make these, you just need to have a little patience. The secret to making them really crunchy is letting them dry out overnight. Perfect snack – during the day or after dinner, to curb a craving! They also hold you over for a really long time because they have a whopping 10 grams of protein!!
- pumpkin seeds
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Scoop pumpkin seeds out of pumpkin (use a pumpkin carving tool or even an ice cream scoop for this)!
- Rinse, rinse, rinse! I run my pumpkin seeds under water in a strainer many times until they are completely clean.
- Lay the pumpkin seeds out on paper towels over night. It is important that they do not touch each other so that they can dry completely.
- When you are ready to toast them, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When they are completely dry, toss pumpkin seeds in a large bowl with olive oil. I use 1 tablespoon of olive oil per one cup of pumpkin seeds. You may have more or less depending on how many seeds your pumpkin yielded!
- Place a piece aluminum foil on a cookie sheet. Spread out the pumpkin seeds evenly on the cookie sheet. If you have more than what fits on a cookie sheet you may have to use two, or do two batches.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of sea salt on the pumpkin seeds (per one cup). Two cups of seeds would use two teaspoons of salt, etc.
- Place pumpkin seeds in the oven for 20 minutes. When the oven times goes off after 20 minutes, remove from the oven and using tongs flip over the pumpkin seeds.
- Place pumpkin seeds back in the oven for another 20 minutes. This will really ensure that your seeds are crunchy!
- Remove seeds from oven and let cool.
- Perfect for a snack or even a ‘dessert’ after dinner!
Nutritional Information (in 1/4 cup):
Calories: 182 Fiber: 3g Sugar: 0g
Perfectly Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
vegan, gluten free, paleo