I know everyone can relate when I say that when I get home at the 5 or 6 o’clock after a long day of teaching and an hour at the gym I do not feel like making dinner. I always plan my meals on Sundays and then go grocery shopping with a list of items I need. This definitely helps my stress level, because I know what I am going to make, and I know that I have all of the ingredients for it instead of running around the kitchen trying to figure out what I am going to feed my husband and I that night. Do you have a panini press? It’s so versatile! I love mine and it is perfect for pressing sandwiches and quesadillas (much easier clean up than a pan too)!
The foundation of this recipe has been used in two of my other posts, Cauliflower Calzones and Cauliflower Tacos with Chili and Lime. The tortillas are super easy to make, and because one head of cauliflower makes 8 or 9 shells, they give me a few days of lunch too. Really easy, really delicious, and the best part is that even though I used black beans and sweet potatoes, you could easy substitute whatever you would like for the filling!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sweet potato
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup Daiya Dairy Free Cheese Shreds (optional)
1. For Cauliflower Tortillas, see recipe here.
2. Wash and peel sweet potato.
3. Boil sweet potato in hot water, or poke a few holes in the sweet potato with a fork 5 or 6 times and place it in the microwave for 5 minutes or until tender.
4. Drain can of beans and measure out 1/4 cup (2 ounces).
5. Slice sweet potato and measure out 1/4 cup (2 ounces).
5. When cauliflower shells are done baking, add black beans, sweet potato and Daiya Cheese to one side of the tortilla (or whichever toppings you prefer, the possibilities are endless)!
7. Fold over and place in a panini press for 2-3 minutes or until the tortillas start to brown.
8. Can be served with salsa or my guacamole recipe!
Nutrtional Information (for one quesadilla with sweet potato, black beans, and Daiya Shreds): Calories: 269 Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g
Cauliflower Quesadillas with Sweet Potatos & Black Beans