“A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety” – Aesop
Who doesn’t love pizza? I kept seeing recipes for cauliflower crust pizza. For someone who does not eat wheat, this looked amazing, and guess what? It tastes amazing too! It is a little hot for the oven with the summer heat right now, but trust me, you will not be sorry you put it on! This is worth it!
Serves 3 (I’m being generous, I couldn’t stop eating this, probably would realistically serve four or five)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour (or almond, or multi purpose)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, put it in, if you had a cookie sheet, you can put aluminum foil on top and grease it with coconut oil. My favorite, though, is a Silipat! It’s a no stick ‘baking sheet’. They are pretty awesome!
2. Wash and chop your cauliflower into small pieces. Pulse in a food processor until the cauliflower looks like rice. (I did my cauliflower in 3 parts so it would blend better).
3. Put the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover, heat for 4 minutes. You can then put the cooked cauliflower on a towel or some paper towels for a few minutes to cool.
4. Once the cauliflower has cooled, use a towel or paper towels to really dry the cauliflower. This is really important because the more you dry out your cauliflower, the less likely it will be to crumble.
5. Mix all the ingredients with the cauliflower (I just dig in with my hands!)
6. Spread out your pizza dough on your warm pizza stone or on your cookie sheet. Crust should be about a 1/2 inch thick.
7. Heat crust in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges turn brown (this could take less or more time depending on your oven).
8. Take your pizza crust out and load with sauce/pesto & toppings. If you are using veggies, you can cook them beforehand. Pizza should only need 5 or so minutes in the oven with toppings! I used homemade pesto with mushrooms, tomatoes & spinach.
BEST PIZZA EVER!
(barely a crumb left on the plate!)
Nutritional Information (for pizza crust only):
Calories: 108 Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
gluten free, dairy free, paleo