If you’re like me, you probably spend a small fortune on crackers! I eat them every afternoon with my cashew cheese, and with only 3-4 servings a box, I go through 2 boxes a week! I knew there had to be an easier (and cheaper) way to get my crackers! Especially with ingredients I knew were organic and raw. So I got to work and started researching! I made a few batches from different websites and really ended up liking a modified version from Whole Living. I used one set with eggs and one set with a vegan egg replacer, and both were awesome! Both versions are just delicious and I’m definitely going to be doing more experiementing with different variations. I will never buy crackers again! I also highly recommend this mini pastry roller/cutter from Williams Sonoma. I picked one up last weekend and I just love it. The best part is that the cutter clips inside the pastry rolling pin for easy storage!
Serves 5 (8 crackers)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (or finely ground raw almonds)
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg or vegan egg replacer
- 2 teaspoons water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grind almonds if needed.
3. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until the ingredients become a ball of dough.
4. To roll out the dough you can use a rolling pin on your silipat (see photo below) dusted with a little coconut or almond flour so it doesn’t stick,. You could also place your dough in between two pieces of parchment paper and roll the dough out with a rolling pin (no flour needed). The cracker dough should be between 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch thick so they get crispy in the oven!
5. Place the rolled out cracker dough onto a cookie sheet (remove top layer of parchment paper if needed).
6. Cut crackers into 2X2 or 3X3 inch squares using a knife or pastry cutter (I cut 40 crackers).
7. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the crackers start browning around the edges.
8. Remove from the oven and let the crackers cool before removing them from the pan.
9. Serve with or without dip! I highly recommend my cashew cheese!
Nutritional Information: Calories: 194 Fiber: 5g Sugar: 1g
gluten free, vegan, paleo